Search This Blog

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Toy Soldiers on the Front Line




The power dynamic at my school models a military chain of command. Actually, the head of our policy and standards-the writing, the approval, the inspection... all begins and ends with the Commanding Officer (red shirts).

Individual department directors (yellow shirts) are responsible to collaborate with trainers and Assistant directors when changes in standards, operations and procedures are to occur. After this policy is written, the leads (green shirts) pass it down to us.... the teachers... (the blue shirts).

What does this mean for me as a teacher and the power I have to "change" things?








Wait for it....










Wait for it....






















Well, it means I've got a lot of work to do. I must first make my impression. Of 75+ teachers, I MUST stand out like an amazing beam of light at every given opportunity. I have to be an expert in what I do, and do it so well that, I am, effectively, teaching them what the classrooms need. I have to prove it.

Not only that, I have to have a general knowledge of their limitations. Unlike public schools and their external and internal politics, our politics are concrete. There is no "change" that occurs just because the majority agree things should run a certain way. There is government, federal, NAEYC, FDA, Florida Early Learning Coalition, and KIT (Kids Included Together). These agencies create rules, restrictions and requirements that are not up for question.

In translation, teachers are at the bottom of the totem pole, but the only ones on the front line every day.  My method of change has to be at this level. Policy is there to stay. Our approach as teachers is what is changeable.

My first goal is to create an anonymous survey to get official data on morale around the school. Since most of the teachers feel like toy soldiers moved into a position they have no control over, I have to help them understand that they have complete control of their response and approach. So, if A,B, and C are out of our control, I can possibly outline their options with them, and help them create their own voice.

Once they are aware of their voice, I know many of them will sing.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Tabetha
    I so admire your enthusiasm. It is teachers like you that make a difference one child at a time. That is a wonderful attitude to take while trying to work within such a rigid command. I admire your strength and resolve not to become just another cookie cutter.
    Keep your chin up and keep plugging away, the students you teach and the teachers you help will all benefit from your actions.

    Thanks on many levels

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete